Week 16 December 9

0

Posted by kavery508 | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on December 8, 2013

8oz_Orig Lysol  Supplies needed! Thanks for your donations of health supplies for our room this year. We are now low on hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes. Please send in a bottle of each, and thank you!

images

It’s that time again! This week we will be collecting our second round of data for our Get Fit Adventure. I understand it’s a busy time of year! Whatever you can get done, please return the pedometers and tan recording pages on Friday–we enjoyed our last prize and would love to get another one for returning things on time!

images[5] You are invited! On Wednesday, December 18, our class will be performing a concert of winter songs for family and friends. Please bring as many guests as you like. We will perform in the café at 9:30, with “Reception for the musicians” to follow (a.k.a. our class party) until 10:15. While we are discouraged from sharing food from home, I am exploring the possibility of having the food services cater the event as a viable option. I will let you know more as soon as I know myself, including ways you can contribute.

cafeboard  Our CAFE focus this week is on Asking Questions before and during reading, and then looking for answers in the text. This is a very important comprehension strategy. Students need to learn and practice thinking about text to better understand its meaning. Questioning improves their ability to think critically and reason. When questions make sense (e.g. are related to text), readers should expect the author to answer some or all of them. Questions that don’t get answered may be worthy of reading more about a topic; they may also provide a basis for thoughtful reflection after a text is read. At home, when reading a new text, pause and try prompts such as these: “What do you wonder about _____?; Why do you think _____?; What would happen if _____?”, etc., and encourage your child to stop and notice when answers to questions are found or hinted at.

petals  Our poetry studies have helped us learn about imagery; tone; rhythm; rhyme; stanza; metaphor (including similes); and more. Consider this poem by Dorothy Aldis. How does the author paint pictures with words? Which words tell  you how she wants you to feel when reading the poem (e.g. how the tone is created)? What metaphors are there in the poem, and why are they better than just saying “I was scared”?

When I Was Lost

Underneath my belt

My stomach was a stone.

Sinking was the way I felt.

And hollow.

And Alone.

bar graph  As part of math every day, we create and analyze data from a tally chart (based on a daily question such as, “How many teeth have you lost in first grade?”). This week we will learn to use data collected on our heights to create a bar graph. Bar graphs offer opportunities to present information visually and can be used to answer questions about data including how many, least, most, more/less than, etc. More at http://www.brainpop.com/educators/community/bp-jr-topic/tally-charts-and-bar-graphs/ 

balance1Our Term 2 Science focus uses the topics Balance and Motion to teach kids to question, predict, and to learn about physical science concepts. Balance is a state of equilibrium with both sides exerting equal force. We begin by exploring the concept of balance using our bodies. What happens when we lean to one side, or stand on one leg? How do our bodies compensate/how do our bodies help us balance? Is this the same on a flat surface (floor) and in water (pool or hot tub)? For more, here is the website of our school’s science program: http://archive.fossweb.com/modulesK-2/BalanceandMotion/

parking_symbolLast week we learned about symbols as part of math skills. We examined common ones found on street signs and on maps, and created our own to represent places in our school. This week we will recreate our blacktop recess area in 2 dimensions using symbols that correctly show spatial orientation.

Write a comment

Skip to toolbar